M-Pesa is an innovative mobile money digital wallet, which gives you the “power of money” on your mobile phone. It transforms your existing mobile phone into a bank account and gives you the freedom to transact and stay in control 24×7. This service is brought to you by the world’s largest telecom
service provider, Vodafone jointly with Pashtany Bank.
Send money to any mobile number
Send money to any bank account
Postpaid bill payments
- Who is eligible to hold an M-Pesa account?
- Any Prepaid or Postpaid mobile customer above the age of 18 years is eligible to hold an M-Pesa account.
- How do i get started with M-Pesa?
Step 1 – Register on M-Pesa
Step 2 – Deposit e-money into the M-Pesa account
Step 3 – Transact
- What are the modes/channels to register on M-Pesa?
- Vodafone Users
M-Pesa Mobile App
M-Pesa Call Centre (55400)
M-Pesa Agent Outlet
M-Pesa Mobile App
M-Pesa Agent Outlet
- Are there any charges for opening an account with M-Pesa?
- It is waived-off for all Customers.
- Am I required to maintain a minimum balance for my M-Pesa account?
- No, you do not have to maintain any minimum balance for your M-Pesa account.
- What documents are required for account opening?
- Documents are not required to open a Min KYC M-Pesa account. However, for a M-Pesa account with enhanced limits.
- Can I have more than one M-Pesa account?
- No, you can have only one M-Pesa account.
- Who is an M-Pesa agent and what does he do?
- An M-Pesa agent is an authorized person who can provide information on M-Pesa and help with the following activities:
Open an M-Pesa account
Deposit/withdraw cash from your M-Pesa account
- How will I know authenticity of the M-Pesa agent?
- The M-Pesa agent will have a 10 digit agency code which will be displayed at the outlet. Only if this code is valid will you be able to transact at the agent location. Also any exchange of physical cash for M-Pesa should be done after receiving the confirmation SMS.
- Will I be able to use my M-Pesa account on roaming?
- Note: Mobile App will work on International Roaming if the data connection is changed to roaming on the same number on which the M-Pesa account is registered
- Can I use M-Pesa if my mobile number is suspended or expired or ported out?
- No, you will not be able to use M-Pesa account if your mobile number is suspended or expired. However, the account balance will be given to you in the form of airtime or settled against your Postpaid bill, as the case may be.
- Can I send money to a number not registered on M-Pesa?
- To send money to any number not registered on M-Pesa, you should do E-KYC at agent location or Vodafone Stores. This will enable you to instantly enhance your limit.Or your documents have to be verified and approved by Pashtany Bank. For this, you will have to submit the acceptable documents for POI and POA to the nearest VF Store or M-Pesa Agent. It takes 10 days from the date of document submission.
- How safe is my money?
- All transactions on M-Pesa being highly secure and validated with two factor authentications-PIN and OTP. Please do not share your PIN and OTP with anyone. M-Pesa will never ask for your PIN or OTP
- What happens, in case my Debit Card / Credit Card or Bank Account is debited and corresponding amount is not credited to my M-Pesa Account, after doing Load Money?
- If the amount has been debited from your Debit Card / Credit Card or Bank Account and the corresponding amount is not credited to your M-Pesa account, refunds are credited back to the respective Debit Card / Credit Card / Bank account within 5 working days.
If the amount is not credited in your Debit Card / Credit Card / Bank account within this time frame, then we request you to check with your Bank.
If bank is unable to share your refund status then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org along with your latest bank statement from the date of transaction.
- Can someone withdraw on my behalf?
- No, the money cannot be withdrawn on your behalf as the withdrawal process is initiated by you on your handset.
- Is there a time limit for the unregistered customer to withdraw the funds sent to him via M-Pesa?
- Yes, the unregistered customer will have to withdraw money within 30 days from the date of transfer. In case the money is not withdrawn it will be credited back to the sender’s account after deduction of applicable charges.
- Do I need to have GPRS facility to use M-Pesa?
- No, you do not need GPRS enabled phone to use M-Pesa services via USSD.
- What happens if an unregistered customer becomes registered post receiving a money voucher but before encashing it?
- The customer will be able to withdraw that money but with a charge.